Because the client and server version have to match, all users will need to upgrade at the same time using an installer and not Web Update. The installer will have to be downloaded from our website and made available to every user.
When you attempt to connect to the iSeries once Surveyor/400 is installed on the workstation, you will get an error message saying 'Client version 4 is higher that iSeries version 3'. If you are a Surveyor Administrator or QSECOFR, it will ask you if you would like to upgrade the iSeries now. Once you upgrade the iSeries to 4.x.x, all of the other workstations that have 3.x.x will get an error message saying 'Client version 3 is lower than iSeries server version 4'.
Once the iSeries is updated to 4.x.x, all workstations will need to be upgraded using the installer.
To install the iSeries piece (i.e.: the server portion), you must have authority to DLTLICPGM, RSTLICPGM and the FTP server must be started. No one can be using Surveyor at that time.
Tips for a smooth install: The SURVEYOR library will be removed and restored.
- Make sure you have a compatible version of OS/400. Version 4.x.x is compatible with V5R3 and above.
- Consider backing up data files as an additional precaution. The SURVEYOR library will be removed and restored. The current data files will be saved temporarily to library SURVEYORSV during install, and the data will be copied into the newly restored data files. Data in the SURVEYOR library includes user authorities, custom library lists, Layouts, and FTP logs.
- Check for object locks. See below explanation.
Why are object locks an issue?
During the install the SURVEYOR library will be deleted and recreated. Surveyor/400 will do this for you and it is better to let Surveyor/400 do it than doing it manually. Before Surveyor/400 can delete the SURVEYOR library, all locks on the SURVEYOR library and the objects in it must be resolved.
The most common problem is that there are locks on *MSGQ objects in the SURVEYOR library. Surveyor creates temporary *MSGQ objects and sometimes the iSeries does not release the lock.
Another common problem is that someone has a lock on the SURVEYOR library, either because they are using Surveyor/400 or they have placed the SURVEYOR library in their library list.
Here is how to check for locks before upgrading:
- WRKOBJLCK OBJ(SURVEYOR) OBJTYPE(*LIB). The most common job to have a lock is QZDASOINIT. To see who is actually using this job, use option '5=Work with job ' then menu item '1. Display job status attributes'. The attribute you are looking for is 'Current user profile '. This user may be using Surveyor/400.
- Delete all *MSGQ objects in the SURVEYOR library. Resolve any locks with the WRKOBJLCK command. By looking at the job log, try to determine if the job locking the *MSGQ object is a Surveyor/400 job and how recently the job was used. If the lock is caused by a Surveyor/400 job, it can be resolved by having the user exit Surveyor/400 or ending the job.
- If there are locks on files VDV0001 and/or VDI0001, those files may be deleted.
- If there are locks on any save files in the Surveyor library they may be deleted. Some temporary save files used with the FTP features begin with letter S and then some numbers such as S846319250.